Sunday, April 18, 2010

These boots are made for Junkin' + The BIG Announcment....!!!

 
Shabby Vintage Junk Extravaganza

Friday 13th & Saturday 14th August 2010

Ashburton Scout Hall
 
If you love Shabby Chic, Vintage & have a hankering for all things JUNK Style, this event is for you.
 
If you are interested in participating as a vendor, please contact me at shabbyvintagejunk@hotmail.com
 
****************** 


Way back in 2001 after reading about the FABULOUS Ki Nassauer & Sue Whitney of the then named Junk Market & the AWESOME shows they were putting together that saw people attending from all over the US, it occurred to me there was a YAWNING GAP in the Australian Vintage Junk scene.

Sure....We had our Trash & Treasure Markets, Antique Fairs, Collectable Shows, Car Boot Sales & Swap Meets but there was NOTHING going on to rival these shows in the US I was reading about....!!

In my own way, I attempted to rectify this & hosted three Open Houses of my own....For each event over a 3 month period, I would rescue, reinvent, recycle & reinterpret pieces I had sourced from the hard rubbish, tip, garage sales, salvage places as well as goods donated from Friends & Family....I was on to something....After each show, the house Mr SVJ & I were renting at the time would echo the way an EMPTY home with wooden floors does when there are NO furnishings to absorb the sound....Seriously....After each show, we were left with our bed, fridge & telly....!

It was an AWESOME time for me....I was totally immersed in what it was I WANTED to do....I was physically active, working hard & being creative in a way that a regular 9 - 5 doesn't allow....!!

Now I won't rabbit on & bore you with the details as to why I didn't continue, suffice is to say Mr SVJ & I were trying to save for our first home & it was decided after a two year absence from the mainstream workforce, that I would return to full time employment & my creativity would be 'revisted' down the track when time permitted....!!!

That time is now....If you've been reading my blog for a while you'll be aware I work full time in the city & spend EVERY OTHER HOUR immersed in all things Shabby Vintage Junk style....You may wonder if I have what it takes to 'pull off' such an event....All I can say to that is watch this space....!!

The Shabby Vintage Junk Extravaganza is being modelled on the US shows & I'd like for you to visit the below blogs & look through the pics to give you an idea as to what it is we will be working towards.....Then pop back to have a look at my finds from today's Swap Meet....!!!

The first link is for the Barn House Boys Show....THIS is what I have in mind....Granted not to this extent but I'm looking at 'growing' an event along these lines....!  I can ONLY imagine the stress the gorgeous Joe & Jermonne undergo organising a show of this size....!!!

This next link is to the Time Worn Interiors blog.... Theresa has just returned from the Warrenton Round Top Show in Texas with a heap of GREAT pictures.

Now back to my DROP DEAD GORGEOUS second hand boots....It was a GREAT day today, I added to my SVJ arsenal & found these babies....Now I have a confession to make....I have the worlds LARGEST calves....I mean they MUST be....I CANNOT for the life of me find a pair of bloody boots to go over them....I was speaking with a work colleague the other day who advised her calves were a little on the 'athletic' side as well & she takes her boots to these guys in the city who STRETCH the crap out of them & wallah....They FIT....I'll be leaving my desk at 1pm tomorrow to visit these boot stretching dudes & as they cost a mere $75.00, the additional expense of having them stretched will probably STILL make them cheaper than buying a pair of new boots....WIN WIN WIN....!!!

Just look at them....Can you hear me purring....hahahahaha....European made, these boots have been worn in BEAUTIFULLY & are scuffed & creased to PERFECTION....I found them at Sea Of Love at 10 High Street, Lancefield.  This store, with it's ECLECTIC mix of industrial vintage furniture & home wears along with a selection of beautiful clothing made here in Australia by independent Aussie designers is a destination I am HAPPY to recommend....In fact....I would drive the hour or so JUST to pop in for a look....!!

If you visit, please say hi to the lovely Mel for me....!!




 
 
Yummy no....??!!
 
 


The detail is TO DIE FOR....!!!



OK....Now for some JUNK....!!!



Worn rubber balls....(The basket is an older find...!)



Mr SVJ would like to mount three of these over our kitchen bench....



Potential, potential....POTENTIAL....And paint....  :o)



No words needed....!!!



These two cubbies were a steal at $10- each....Covered in spider webs & dirt, there's a bit of work here but I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation some elbow grease & white paint makes....!!

And YES...Another RED tool box....I SO have a thing for red tool boxes at the moment....I have one in my van, one in my office/work room & about FIVE others floating about just lookin' COOL....  :o) !!








Well....There you have it....I hope I've given you something to think about, get excited about & talk about tomorrow with Friends....I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts....!

Now I'm off to watch the Biggest Loser finale....!

Hope you all had a GREAT weekend....!

Cheers,
Tamarah :o)

13 comments:

  1. Hi Tamarah,
    Sassy boots!!

    I now crown you the Aussie Junkin' Queen. Imagine me placing a vintage rhinestone tiara upon your head. And then you say, "I'd like to thank the little people (sniff).

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and glad I found your blog!! It is always fun to meet a dedicated junker! Good luck with your sale..wish I could be there!
    Cheers,
    Ki
    Junk Revolution

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamarah--this is beyond exciting!! Oh, how I wish I could see your extravaganza in person--it sounds like it is going to be fantastic--good for you for following your vision! Loved your stories of how you were cleaned out when you had your Open Houses. As I was reading your fun post, I couldn't believe there was even MORE--great great finds! Love the cubbies and of course the red tool box. I do have to disagree with you on one point -- I have the largest calves ever! LOL! Maybe we can share the title -- you in Australia and me in the States! Good luck with all the preparation and selling and hoopla--can't wait to read and see all the pics!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pick this week Tamarah are the boxy cubbies.

    Great news a bout your Junk Extravaganza, good for you for organising it. Wish I could come. I put up a link for it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamarah my dear friend, you are definately the Queen of Australian Junk. I don't think that anyone else could possibly have the passion and energy that you have. Keep posting those wonderful pictures, so that I can keep up with what is happening in the world of junk. Your Bonnie Doon Pal

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! Good Luck! Do you ever go to http://www.junkmarketstyle.com/ Sue Witney's If you don't it is a really fun site! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great junkin' finds and I LOVE the boots!!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tamarah just found your blog this morning and love the idea of a junk show. Sounds wonderful and its so empowering to use your creativity in this way and follow your dreams. You go girl and we'll all line up at the crack of dawn and thrift and spend..... xx Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tamarah,

    I love your story and so glad you shared it. I love hearing your vision which is similar to what I would like to do in my small state of Indiana. I love your junk, love your blog, and love most of all your sense of humor. You are an inspiration and it was such a joy to read your post today:)

    ~Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your pictures are just beautiful!
    I love your blog!
    Thank you for sharing!
    I will be signing up to follow~
    We should do a "add to my bloglist exchange"
    Let me know if you are interested~
    Have a good evening!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  11. TOTALLY coming along! can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you got those two cubbies for 10 dollars each. That is a great deal.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete