Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Wrap Up...A Market, Theatre Letters, Laundry Project & a bloody Root Canal...!!

You would of thought I'd learned my lesson 4 years ago when my ABSOLUTE fear of the Dentist led to a costly root canal but no...My Dentist advised at the time I needed a filling in one of my upper teeth but I'd just spent 12 months a LOT of money on my mouth & really just wanted to put the whole thing behind me...!! Well...'behind me' came up & bit me on the butt a little over a week ago in the from of an all too familiar tooth ache & abscess which in turn, contributed to a nice case of tonsillitis & a very lack luster time for 'yours truly'....! So...NO 'Sunday Wrap Up' for last week but I'm hoping this one makes up for it....!!!

I headed off to the Market this morning & had a GREAT time....I scored not one but TWO of my all time FAVE cream coloured striped suitcases (very hard to find here in Oz), a sweet little wrought iron planter & a GORGEOUS scooter....I need to replace the modern wheels on this little cutie though....LUCKY I have me some spares... :o) !!


WOOHOO...I now have SIX of these BEAUTIES.... ** sigh ** The bottom case had a TERRIBLE stain on the top however, the inside was in SCHMICK NICK & after a hardy scrubbing, I've managed to remove 90% of the stain...I may have another 'go' at it during the week....!!

I also found 5 jelly moulds which I'll use in one project, a metal whisk....I think I'd like to collect these as this one is just SO CUTE...3 x coat hooks & two drawer handles....Indeed, you can NEVER have too much GREAT vintage hardware....A YUMMY Remington Typewriter ribbon tin (to go with my recently acquired Remington 16), 2 x bakelite string lines that you use when travelling to hang your 'unmentionables' on....(Though why socks, undies & bras are referred to as unmentionables is a mystery to me...??!) I also scored two wonderful Kandy trays ...They're for some sort of pastry I think but I'm going to use them as organisers & last but by no means least is the most DELICIOUS beaten up * crackly pottery mug I've ever seen.....It cost me ONE WHOLE smacker & I'll either use it in the bathroom as the 'new' toothbrush/paste holder or perhaps in the bedroom & sit a big fat vanilla candle in it....YUMMO....!!




And WHAT do we have here....??? Why...It's a BUNCH of theatre letters....I HEART shabby vintage metal letters (who doesn't....???!!) & had the word JUNK already....!!

Yesterday though, I purchased 21 x more to make up the following.....

I'm thinking of putting the RUSTY in our living area beside the JUNK...Very appropro I think... !!
The other words will be used for display at the next Antique Fair I attend...!!

Now for a project Mr SVJ & I've been working on for the laundry which is quite narrow...I found two french doors in the Hard Rubbish (one of which has been hung horizontally in our living room) & I'd put this one aside as it was in need of repair...Mr SVJ removed one side for me & I cleaned it up & gave it a coat of poly to seal the remaining paint.

This piece has now been trimmed to fit the space & mounted & is waiting on just one more coat hook....I'll add a pic when it's finished....!!

Now this is a really nice piece of wood also found in the Hard Rubbish that Mr SVJ has cut down for me...I've cleaned it up & am just debating with myself as to it's 'finish' & it too will be mounted UNDER the other piece as a shelf to hold my paints & brushes etc....I'm hoping the laundry will be ready by Tuesday so stay tuned for the pics....!!

And to top off the weekend Mr SVJ & I found a storage unit not 4 minutes drive from our house...We're hoping this means an END to the MOUNTAIN of stuff currently squeezed into our small home....I KNOW I recently let go of one storage unit but it was MILES away, EXPENSIVE & inconvenient...We'll be moving the 'excess' next weekend & THEN I can start showing off the INSIDE of our home....!!!

Hope you had a SAFE & happy weekend...!

Cheers,
Tamarah :o)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tamarah,
    So sorry to hear of your teeth issues. Root canals are the worst! But it looks like you scored some really groovy junk!

    I'm super jealous of those movie theatre letters.
    And finally a burning question: what IS hard rubbish as opposed to just regular rubbish?

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly.... :o) !!

    Hard Rubbish is the MOST WONDERFUL thing in the world....Especially so from a 'junking' perspective as it provides a GREAT source of otherwise unloved & unwanted Treasures...!!

    Each year Councils allow their residents to put household items outside their homes for collection. A couple of guys in a big truck come along & collect it, & it's compacted as the truck moves along....When it's full the trucks head off to the tip (landfill site).

    The metals are the ONLY items salvaged...Oh the WASTE of it all....!!! But thanks to folk like myself, some it is salvaged & repurposed...!!

    My house is ENTIRELY (except for the lounge & bed) decorated with my Hard Rubbish finds OR I've bought pieces from other HR enthusiates who found the items in the HR themselves.

    It is by far & away my FAVOURITE thing....!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those metal letters are fabulous! I would be racing the big truck on Hard Rubbish Day to get to the good stuff!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete