Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Wrap Up...1x Swap Meet, 1x Market & more Hard Rubbish than you can poke a stick at...!!

This post is dedicated to my lovely friend Wendy who lives in the country...! Every Monday during my lunch break, we call each other for the 'weekend wrap up' to discuss the treasures we've found....Alas, I'm often distracted by my environment & I end up forgetting half my discoveries....!

So....from now on, I'll post Sunday evenings & this way Wendy will be able to see ALL my stuff & we can look at my blog together on Monday while we chat & giggle over my 'loot'....!!

My friend Trevor called me Friday evening & asked me if I'd like to go to a swap meet out at Berwick....hmmmmm....I agreed of course, though as a junk/treasure finding prospect I wasn't holding out much hope as I'd been to a Sunday market AGES ago at the same locale & wished I HADN'T wasted the fuel....!!!

Trev picked me up at 4.30am & away we went...The pic below was taken at 5.15am & it was pitch black....I used the ISO setting on my dig & it's shown a lot more than I thought it would.

**** CLICK ON PICS to enlarge.....!!! ****



This annual junk fest started off as a Swap Meet for 'rev heads' but has blossomed into a HUGE vintage/collectable venue...Check out the WAY COOL Holden below....ahhhhh....They DON"T make them like this any more....!



I wasn't able to get the entire weekends haul into the one pic so be sure & scroll down to the bottom....! The dress dummy you see below was a GREAT buy & I'm smiling as I type as to how it actually came about....!!!

You see....After Fryers Town, Mr SVJ & I stayed in Castlemaine for a couple of days & I engaged in a little retail therapy of the vintage kind (of course) while we were there....I found the dress form along with the stick however, there was no base....hmmm....It was $100- but I was feeling good & snapped it up as I'd ALWAYS wanted one of these & have seen them for $250+....Then lo & behold, yesterday at the Swap Meet I found a base for $25-....I took a punt that it would match my stick bit & wallah....It was a MATCH made in heaven....!!!

The dolls pram, heavily detailed gesso frame, blue enamel fridge crisper, Princess carpet sweeper & Brockhoff biscuit tin were all gathered from the Hard Rubbish after I returned from the Swap Meet....Not bad hey for a couple of hours.... :o) !!

The red leather suitcase, West German jug/vase Royal Blue lizard skin hand bag, tin globe, tall tin storage bin with lid & the majority of the jewellery were sourced at Camberwell market....The Skippy bank ( a child hood FAVE) & the rest of the jewellery were nabbed at the Swap Meet.

I LOVE the sweet little Bostock tin....I'm going to use it to store jump rings etc for my jewellery in.








This mantle piece was found just on 5am at the Swap Meet for a tiny $25-....The detail is TO DIE FOR & after a few repairs such as regluing & chiselling at the back of one of the legs to remove some burned wood....HEY....it WAS a fire mantle for heavens sake....I'm going to mount it as a head board in our bedroom....Stay tuned for those pics....!

This vintage wooden sign is P-E-R-F-E-C-T in VERY way....It was originally quoted as being $65- however, the vendor let me have it for $35- which is a BARGAIN....You don't see MANY vintage signs like this 'Down Under' so I feel VERY fortunate & it's a KEEPER....It's been cleaned & I've given it a coat of poly to ensure there's no further deterioration....!! It has a three digit phone number (obscured in pic so I'm dating it bewteen the late 50's early 70's)....I'll do some investigation at work during my lunch break this week if I'm able....!

The little toy high chair was resting inside the dolls pram & the two grates...Gee aren't they....hahahaha....Well they were found at the Swap Meet for $5-....I have a very simple project in mind for them....Stay tuned....!!

Last but by no means list on this weeks Treasure list is this WONDERFUL industrial paper dispenser found at Camberwell this morning at 5.30am for $50-.....It's ALSO a keeper & will live in my office....!

On the Tamarah rating scale I put this weekends Treasure hunting at 13/10....It was fun, I enjoyed myself SO MUCH & was totally relaxed & in my element....I'm THRILLED with the pieces I found though I must admit I am ABSOLUTELY KNACKERED & will be asleep within moments of logging off....!
I look forward to sharing some projects this week....I have HEAPS to do to get ready for Maldon in a couple of weeks PLUS I'll be at Camberwell next week clearing some 'clutter'....!
Cheers for now,
Tamarah :o)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tamarah,

    Looks like a fun event. Sadly, we don't have big flea markets like that around here (Utah). We have the best chain of thrift stores on the planet however, The Deseret Industries or just "DI" as the locals call it.

    Great finds, especially the poultry sign and bust form.

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that haul merits more than a 13! The headboard and poultry sign alone were worth getting up that early....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly... :o) !!

    I'm planning a trip to the US for September/October this year & have noted your DI's on my ever growing list of possible places to source 'Treasures'....! LOL...I must admit to thinking the US has flea markets on every corner so it's interesting you mention that there are no major fleas in your state....THANK YOU for stopping by my blog... :o) !!!

    I couldn't agree more Sue....I'm hoping to have the mantle piece mounted behind the bed this evening after work & will pop some pics up if I do....!!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, You commented that you wanted a magazine, but didn't leave your email address. I have no way to send the paypal invoice without it. Shipping to Australia is 9.00 so at total of $18.95 USD.

    I'll send the paypal info as soon as I hear from you.
    Thx,
    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tamarah,
    I'm new to your blog but have to tell you how adorable those terriers are in your banner--I just love them and want to take them all home! The sign and mantle are pretty cool too!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete